Saturday, February 17, 2007

Mickey's Mellerdrammer

Mickey's Mellerdrammer - A 1933 Disney Theatrical short, based on Uncle Tom's Cabin.
Mickey's Mellerdrammer was one of many theatrical versions of Uncle Tom's Cabin to appear in the first half of the twentieth century. Despite it's success at the time, and it's ties to one of America's most enduring and popular characters, it is virtually unknown today.

Mickey Mouse was one of America's biggest stars in 1933. The previous year Disney had been awarded a special Oscar for Mickey Mouse and by mid 1933 he would star in his 56th short film, Mickey's Mellerdrammer. At this point the Mickey Mouse short films were achieving top billing, surpassing many of the feature films they were paired with. Realizing the popularity of their rodent star, Disney had begun casting a wide net for plot ideas, even including caricatures of a dozen Hollywood stars in another 1933 Mickey short.

It would be interesting if the release of the Disney version of Uncle Tom's Cabin had some sort of hidden agenda, a message they were trying to push or a great moral purpose. The truth is Disney needed material for their most visible character, and adapting the era's most popular stage production, not only gave them a great script to start from, but guaranteed the audience would be familiar with the plot.

Mickey's Mellerdrammer isn't very faithful to either the book, or the stage production, but it does contain numerous elements borrowed from the original story. Using the exaggerated emotions that typified a melodrama, and the stereotypical caricatures of an Uncle Tom minstrel show, Disney did their best to duplicate the stage production, in the eight minute timeframe allowed by the short film.


The story begins with an introduction of the characters. We see both Clarabelle Cow and Mickey in their dressing room, applying blackface. Mickey glances in the mirror after his transformation and proclaims "Mammy," mimicking the famous Al Jolson song. Interestingly enough, that same gag is used over and over again in Disney shorts of this era. Anytime a character is put in blackface, you can be assured it will be followed with a "Mammy!"


The scene shifts to center stage where Mickey representing Topsy (in blackface), and Minnie playing Little Eva, dance across the stage singing Dixie, while a chorus of very stereotypical characters, representing slaves, sing in the background.

At this point it is apparent why you probably have never seen this cartoon. This was an era marked by very offensive stereotypes, and they are prominent in this short eight minute film. It's hard to believe today, but these stereotypes were big applause generators seventy-five years ago, and they appealed to a lot of the people attending these films.


Following the dance number, we meet Simon Legree, who appears at Tom's Cabin to claim his slave. Note the jeers for Simon Legree and Cheers for Tom. Disney is making sure we understand who's the villain in the show.

When Tom refuses to go with him, Simon proclaims "I owns ya, body and soul." Remaining consistent with the character as portrayed in the book, Tom/Mickey replies, "You may own this body, but my soul belongs to the lord."

You'll notice that the three major scenes in the film are in a different order than they appear in the book. Though Disney borrowed the characters and plot, they were much more interested in them for their gag value, than remaining faithful to the story.

This helps to explain why the final scene is Eliza's escape over the ice. The chase shifts quickly from one of suspense, to sheer slapstick as the hounds (in costume), sent to track Eliza down, are foiled by a cat who refuses to wear the dog suit. The entire production disintegrates into chaos just before the final curtain falls.

Though Mickey's Mellerdrammer was one of the many media attempts to cash in on the popularity of Uncle Tom's Cabin, it also generated it's own set of merchandise. During 1933 the scenes from the film were printed on the back of Post Cereal Boxes, along with cutouts of the film's characters. You can view these characters at the Uncle Tom and American Culture website. The link will take you directly to the advertising section. To view the cereal box comics, use the scroll bar on the advertising page and scroll down about three-quarters of a page, until you see Mickey as Topsy. You'll notice the advertising page makes no reference to the film the characters were taken from. I was able to contribute information on the short film to the website, but it has not been updated on the site as of this writing.

Mickey's Mellerdrammer not only appealed to a young audience, but as with most short films from the major studios in the thirties and forties (Disney and Warner Brothers) the film was also aimed at an adult audience. This was considered good business by the animation studios, and was almost a necessity, since most cartoons were paired with "adult" films at the theater.

I digitized Mickey's Mellerdrammer, and posted the resulting video, to allow the class to view it in it's entirety.

The video is no longer available on my blog. If you would like to see it, you can find it on the DVD "Mickey Mouse in Black and White Volume 2."



I'm a longtime fan of Disney animation and I'd love feedback on what you think of the film.

Tom

Mickey's Mellerdrammer, ©1933, Walt Disney productions. All images and video are taken from "Walt Disney Treasures - Mickey Mouse in Black and White Volume 2," Released December 7, 2004 by Walt Disney Corporation.

15 comments:

Karen Weyler said...

Tom--
This is a pretty amazing example. Obviously Disney keeps a tight control on its earlier material because of the offensive racial stereotyping. The best example is Disney's refusal to re-release the well-known film "The Song of the South," a movie that some of you who are in your thirties or older might have seen as children.

It also occurs to me, however, that the overtly religious element of UTC (e.g. when Tom says, "My soul belongs to the Lord") might also be something that Disney would shy away from today.

Tom Calhoun said...

Song of The South has certainly spawned a lot of debate. There are websites, petitions and letter writing campaigns. Last year Disney's current CEO watched the film and proclaimed it "un-releasable." Then Last fall, Roy Disney said that they are considering a "Disney Treasures" release. "Mellerdrammer" was part of a treasures release as was "On the Front Lines", a collection of Disney propaganda films from World War II. Both collections have long intros explaining the context of the films. "Song of the South" could be released like this. It would be a quiet release, unlike say, last years Little Mermaid re-release.

You know, as much as I love the Brer Rabbit sequences and the Zip a Dee Doo Dah segment, I don't care for the film. I borrowed a dub a couple of years ago from my mailman(!) and I thought the live action sequences were pretty poorly done. I thought the choice of child actors was weak and I certainly wasn't inspired to write Disney to ask for a release. Others think it's a great film, so maybe it's just me.

Tom

Catherine Ladd said...

Wow, What a great post Tom! I am a huge fan of Disney myself, especially Mickey. This film goes to show that only in recent years, the general public found this material offensive. This generation is certainly more conscience of political correctness than ever before. With that said, this material is historical and depicts a very important part of American history; to ignore it is disregarding history. Once again, your post is excellent and I enjoyed the animation; Disney did a great job of telling the story of Uncle Tom.

L. Ziegler said...

Tom, this post is so polished looking! I'm not a huge disney fan, but my husband and I were remarking that we have never seen a feature length Disney film which features an African American protagonist. Isn't that odd? We were aware of "The Song of the South" and I'm not suprised that Disney is keeping it under wraps. I had a hard time watching "Mickey's Mellerdrammer" without being offended.

Sharese said...

It is a shame that Disney would promote a cartoon like this. I am a big fan but this is offensive. However, I know this was probably the norm for the time period it was released. Check my blog, I found another from Warner Bros.

Brittany Miller said...

Tom,
Great post-you never cease to amaze! I watched the cartoon, and was caught off guard by a number of things. Of course, there is the racial stereotyping that you alluded to which I find very disturbing (although I suppose it is to be expected from that era unfortunately), but also the fact that the story or plot is secondary to the punch line. I know this was the way of the Disney short film, but I just didn't realize that they would make light of such serious subject matter. I found the same thing in my scavenger hunt when looking at games derived from the novel. Shouldn't some things be sacred?

Pamela Miller said...

Tom,
This was a great post and although I knew such cartoons existed like this, I never in my wildest dreams would think of Disney promoting something of this nature. It is amazing the difference or the generational gap that exists now with how Disney is portrayed now. I showed my children who are 10 and 5 the cartoon,they had no idea what was going on, and their only question was "Where is the color?"

lmabernathy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lmabernathy said...

Sorry I had a typo earlier

Great post Tom and very informational! I don't know what I think about the release or refusal of this type of material. I can understand not releasing it because it is offensive but it shouldn't be swept under the rug either. This is something we should talk about and be familiar with so that it doesn't occur again.

Kandi Hauser said...

Wow! This is a great post! The Disney short was new to me. I guess that the ending of the film helped to soften the blow of the subject matter. I am sure that Disney was aiming to get a laugh with this ending, but to me, it was sort of like saying, well we know that we have made light of a very serious topic, so we will make nice by undoing one of the most horrific parts of the story - the chase of the bloodhounds.
I can certainly understand why Disney is not eager to re-release such productions as this!

kahuna25 said...

Very good post Tom,
I know this cartoon is of sensitive subject matter, but it caught my attention as to who the audience was rooting for..They rooted for Mickey...maybe just because he was Mickey, but too, because of the character he played, the audience was indirectly rooting for the slaves, and Mickey's williness to bring attention to something that was very wrong.
I think Disney was making a statement with this subject matter because during the 30's, Iam sure there were people that still thought slavery was OK and discriminated against the blacks.

sarah said...

I have to say that I enjoyed Mickey's Mellerdrammer. The only part I found offensive was when Mickey blew a stick of dynomite in his face to make himself a black faced character.

However, I do believe that Walt Disney was not a racist. He did not intend for this to be offensive or poke fun at black people or the sensitive content of Stowe's novel. He simply wanted to encompass all that was american. He might have been making fun of the "black Faced" theatre that was popular at the time but nothing more.

L. Ziegler said...

Hey Tom,

I know that class is over, but I think I am having American Romanticism withdrawl. :)

At any rate, I think it's pertinent to our conversation here that Disney finally has a feature length animated film with an African American protagonist. Took them long enough! Here's the link:
http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/20070308/117340194000.html

Hope the rest of your semester is a good one!

Laura

Tom Calhoun said...

Hi Laura,

New 2D animation, and an African American protagonist. Post Eisner Disney is a good thing!

I'm having withdrawal also. I think I'll go read the rest of Walden ...

Unknown said...

Hi Tom! I am a first time reader of your blog. This post was very interesting as I am currently doing a history assignment and I have decided to evaluate Walt Disney for it. Thank you for providing useful insight and context to this cartoon :)